lundi, mars 16, 2009

Bill Maher on Religion

One thread I'm beginning to pick up--our persistent need to either feel superior to those other idiots (as in the Maher YouTube video linked here) or act as though we are speaking for a persecuted minority. How many times have I seen this dynamic at play? In evangelical circles (white, middle class, affluent) where I worked. Among Catholic commenters where I blog. Among Democrats under Bush. Now with Republicans under Obama.

And yanno what I want to say to them? If you truly believe you are persecuted, let's find a way to send you to Darfur for a week. Or Rwanda. Or any number of countries in the former Soviet Republic.

Then come back and try that one on for size again.

Meanwhile, I give you Bill Maher-voice of another persecuted minority. By the way, I haven't yet seen anything to refute my initial point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IcUumWzue4

1 commentaire:

Sabrina Vourvoulias a dit…

Well, some of us have already lived in countries with oppressive and repressive governments -- which makes us all the more committed to making sure we don't oppress here.