lundi, février 16, 2009

The lion and the lamb?

Yesterday in church I got up and talked about leprosy--and pointed out that in many ways, we are really all lepers. As children, we see people dividing themselves into cliques. We soon learn who is popular, and who isn't. It's so hard to stay popular--but it's not difficult to stay unpopular.

All of this, viewed objectively, is a bunch of cow poop. Yet at that age, we aren't secure enough in ourselves to know that God gave us minds to figure things out for ourselves--and sees special beauty in all of us.

One of my favorite songs about how hard it is to see that loveliness is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5brDUfcGlK8


So yesterday, as I do so often, I urged the congregation to admit to their brokenness to be vulnerable, to understand that they are both forgiven (if they ask) and redeemed.

But I must admit that today I wonder. How strong is the power, of well, power? When someone who is vulnerable opens up to someone else, aren't they taking the risk that the other person will judge them, condemn them, bring their own unresolved conflicts into the mix?

Yes, probably. I've had people in the past jump me. The only difference is now I know not to take all of their "stuff" on myself. I've got enough of my own.

So I encourage you to claim your own strength. Know your limits. Pray for God's protection before you reveal your wounds....And remember, in the words of that all too ephemeral song...

You gotta be, you gotta be bad, you gotta be bold, you gotta be wiser,
You gotta be cool, you gotta be calm, you gotta stay together,
All I know all I know is love will save the day.




Aucun commentaire: