mardi, décembre 30, 2008

Dating Henry Kissinger

Has it come to this? Are a glass of Lillet and conversation about classical culture with Henry my lot in life?

My kids and two friends gather around the computer, playing a fantasy online game somewhere between Club Penguin and World of Warcraft.

Bursts of hilarity rock the living room occasionally -- at dinner, they were so silly that I nearly choked on my food. When being tailed by some dame in an SUV, or trying to figure out what check 1567 was, I would love to have a tenth of their ability to see the ridiculous in the ridiculous.

Tonight I'm feeling the weight, not so much of years, as of my cautious nature.

A while ago I got an email from the dating service--a 55-year-old guy across the Delaware Valley wants to get to know me. He's cultured, he's well-educated, he probably earns a good living -- and I can't imagine kissing him.

Last night I observed three guys or so look at my profile again and again. I couldn't help but wonder -- what is it they saw? What was it they didn't find? Or what was it they wanted to find the courage to say?

A 35-year-old guy in California asks me whether I ever visit his state. "Anything is possible" he writes. How I wish I felt that way, I told him.

Last night someone wrote me that he couldn't imagine not finding "the one" -- or what was he doing on Match?

I don't need "the one" I wrote him back. I just want "a one."

He can't be self-righteous, but he hopefully could be a bit of a rebel. He should respect my financial independence, but it would be great if he had a generous streak (so I could unleash mine).

He should be incisive without being a huge egghead.

Adventurous and creative.

And it would be nice if "he" had learned from his mistakes -- maybe not everything he should have learned, but enough to get by.

I can see how "Henry" found me. I could even imagine what he could find appealing about me. He doesn't know that I've spend part of my life unlearning how to be Henry Kissinger's girlfriend -- and I'm ready to try something a little different.

Aucun commentaire: