vendredi, juillet 31, 2009

Groundhog evening

Today someone else "winked" at me. This occurs maybe three times a week, when some random guy on the dating site decides I might be interesting -- but doesn't have the interest or literary ability to actually write me. On a bad week, I can get as many as 8 or so. I'd guess roughly half are spammers, so I don't get too excited. But I knew this guy. He was considerably younger than me. He'd asked me out a few years ago, suggesting that I needed to date a younger guy. I had no idea that I needed to date anyone in particular, but I have to confess I was intrigued by his pursuit. In between the miso soup and the sushi he told me of his sad experiences in love. As we walked into the chilly night, I decideed to pigeonhole the evening as "hard to tell."

I wasn't sure I wanted to go out with him again -- but I wasn't sure I didn't. Until he put his arms around me in the parking lot and let his hands stray places no gentleman should even imagine on a first date -- then I was sure. Maybe it was then that I resolved that, most of the time, unless the guy was really sweet and it seemed appropriate, I'd try to pay for dinner.

Wriggling out of his grasp, I climbed into the car and drove off, disgusted as much with myself as with him for my inexperience -- a sophisticated lady would have known how to handle such a situation. After pressing "delete" I wondered -- had my experience since then made me any smarter about how to handle fresh guys? I learned one thing -- stay away from sushi bars on a first date. Uncooked fish can make a man amorous.

Why didn't anyone tell me?

Aucun commentaire: