mardi, octobre 28, 2008

Will you miss the MSM?

Conservatives love to beat up on the "mainstream media" : the LA Times, the Christian Science Monitor, the New York Times, the Washington Post. Liberals often take a cudgel to them, too.

As David Carr points out in the article linked here, in an age when print is what he calls a "legacy technology" these media outlets are impelled by loss of advertising to cut staff, or even to shut up their print operations altogether ( the Christian Science Monitor).

It's not that they don't have readers. But these readers get their news jones online, as I do. I get my local paper on Sundays -- and it can sit there unread for days. It's so much easier to find what I need to know online.

Love or loathe em, or love to loathe 'em, these media outlets play a valuable function --giving you the news in a way that is unparalled as yet in any new media. I suspect we'll find a way to hang on to reporting, and reporters but this is a difficult transition for journalism.

Sheesh, do you want to trust information you get from a 'blog?

Wink wink nudge nudge....I wouldn't.

Aucun commentaire: