mercredi, septembre 26, 2007

A very hectic day in which I attended a parent-teacher conference, went to the gym, did laundry, started an article, and wrote one editorial-and returned to it early this evening to find that parts of it were very confusing. In fact, I had no clue what I was talking out. Well, when you write about civil war in the Episcopal Church, what can you expect?

I hear that my old boss is at the meeting in Pittsburgh at which the dissidents are figuring out what to do next. I can't imagine he would take Good Samaritan out of the Episcopal Church, because the church has just had a large building campaign. But he might get try to get as close to it as he can.

Hiring the sons of two very prominent ex-Episcopalians was brilliant-I've never seen anyone walk that fine line between obedience and insubordination as adeptly as he does. That being said, I'm glad I'm not in his shoes. They must feel very tight sometimes. It hurts enough being on the sidelines.

But then, I'm not into politics. Or power, like those men grabbing for purple shirts.

Except maybe the power to shape public opinon a little. OK, I, too am a bit of a hypocrite.

We went outside to see the harvest moon tonight. Standing on our walk, with the trees outlined in the slightly eerie light, Colin slipped his arm around me. Resting his head against my ribs, he talked...about werewolves. Typical boy stuff. I stared at the moon, and imagined that someone had actually walked on it. How humbling. How can we humans, able to go so far, be so backward when it comes to dealing with ordinary life on earth?

I wonder if the Archbishop of Nigeria would consider sending some of those bishops to other planets-new mission fields?

2 commentaires:

Sue a dit…

Oh, THANK YOU for this. I needed to hear some of that put into words. You know exactly where we're coming from. We have so often discussed that hiring move (sucks to be the one "bumped" in the process, eh? That's putting it nicely) -- we're still on the "hurting sidelines" and I think we'll be there for a long time. All in the name of "the Church," huh? No wonder we're all out of it, for now anyway -- I have a really hard time reconciling all of this and wonder where God is in these decisions and processes (or, rather, what he's thinking!). Hmmmm ... Thanks for writing -- you made my morning! :)

P.S. I just love your boy, even though I've never met him!

Wallacewriter a dit…

Sue,

If it's any comfort, I know you aren't alone in feeling sad about what's going on in the Episcopal Church. It's so much about politics, very little about Jesus, as far as I can tell.

Thank you for your nice comment about Colin. It's such an adventure parenting a boy, isn't it? A very different experience from raising a girl, but equally lovely.