mercredi, janvier 24, 2007

PS: Try a little tenderness

Colin has a very tender, sensitive way about him-quick to hug, quick to say how he feels, arms wide open to the world's pain and its loveliness. I wonder why we start to lose that as we get older.

I wonder if we really need to let it get scabbed over when we are betrayed or betray, when we walk away or when someone else walks away from us-isn't there a way in which we can stay awake so that we feel it when somebody touches us?

I am particularly alert on this score right now, having had my jaded old spirit brushed by one so unalike and so kindred, someone I never would have chosen as a pal in a million years, and then watching helpless and stunned as he shed the gossamer bonds of friendship to be free of me and the poor gifts I could bring him-loyalty and acceptance and...tenderness.

I wonder why it was so easy for him to walk away-or whether he ever wonders what it would have been like to have stayed.

Aucun commentaire: