lundi, octobre 16, 2006

Where's the bowl?

Driving home after a nice, quiet run, I noticed that the driveway was littered with athletic equipment. Various kinds of sports were represented among the clutter: a badminton racquet, pads for hockey, a tennis racquet, balls, a bicycle, scooters, several skateboards and...could those be ice skates? I was, frankly, baffled by the presence of a box of Cheerios in the garage. I picked it up and took it inside. As a mom, one must harness one's energy for larger questions like: will that wet towel ever make it back into the room where it belongs ? The first thing on my mind was making sure that the neighborhoood children playing some rather esoteric game moved the other sports apparatus they were using off the lawn and back...onto the driveway. It was only later that I remembered to ask Colin and Sian why they had brought a box of cereal out to the garage. To be honest, I don't remember the answer-it may have had something to do with feeding a "rescued" caterpillar. The only thing missing from the driveway was the caterpillar, which had moved into the house and was now living in a recycled box replete with leaves, sticks, and airholes. It is possible, however, that the Cheerios were really taken outside for conventional purposes-after all, I also found a cereal bowl outside on the driveway. But somehow I doubt that in this case, the simple explanation is the best-after all, the milk still was in the refrigerator.

Aucun commentaire: