lundi, février 13, 2012

I wish I'd never seen that

I don't know about you, but I find that reading that Facebook ticker isn't doing anything for my character.

Since most of my friends are classy folks, the majority of posts seem pretty innocuous, educational, or benign.

Even some of the debates are interesting..

It's when I start to wander into the six degrees of Kevin Bacon territory that I get into trouble.

Vicious arguments break out.

Vapid quotes and pictures pop up like spots of blue mold on cheese (I ain't talking Stilton, honey).

Updaters enforce conformity, and chase away those who dare to differ.

What you say, and the way you choose to say it, is revealing -- perhaps more revealing than you intend.

Where real life and virtual life blur, it's hard to know if the nasty or empty status update is one side of a personality or a window into her or his inner truth.

In some cases, it's pretty obvious, as unfair as such a one-sided standard of judgment can feel, that superficial is the best some FB members can manage.

Sometimes I feel like I'm watching a car wreck happen -- and that one of my friends is trapped inside one of the autos.

As I said, FB, a complex social animal, has a lot of positive angles. I've made new friends, and engaged others at a deeper level.

I'm sure that although I try to avoid spitting contests, I've gotten into some myself. Sometimes the "delete" key is my friend.

But when I see someone else expose themselves, I can't help wishing I had the discipline not to look.











Aucun commentaire: