lundi, octobre 29, 2007

Colbert and Christ in South Carolina

I don't know if our fervent response to Stephen's Colbert's Presidential bid is a sign of our dislike for the candidates who are really running or of our alienation from DC politics as usual. According to a report in the New York Times, a Facebook site set up by a 16 year old signed up a million supporters in slightly over a week.

Another media report says that when the Comedy Channel satirist kicked off his campaign in South Carolina (Columbia, SC) some at the rally held up signs saying "Colbert. Christ. Favorite sons '08."

I'm not sure I understand the link between Stephen and Jesus, but Colbert does seem to be a grassroots, prophetic type fella.

I've ordered my T-shirt and my bumper sticker. So what if his hands are stained with Doritos? I've always had a weakness for someone who talks truthiness to power.

2 commentaires:

Anonyme a dit…

It's probably a play on all the pandering candidates do to the Evangelical base in the south. What presidential hopeful isn't hocking his/her spirituality? In a sense they're all trying to show that God is really on their side.

Colbert's absurdity being what it is, the "Jesus as running mate" is kind of funny.

Oh, and Colbert's whole "favorite son" moniker makes things pretty convenient.

Wallacewriter a dit…

Good points! Thanks for your comments.

Do you think Colbert will squash Georgia as he predicts?

I'm not sure, by the way, that McCain and Guiliani are "hocking their spirituality"-Guiliani seems to be telling folks its none of their business. Southern politics fascinates me. It's so boring up in the North.