vendredi, janvier 12, 2007

Go, Nelly!

In the dayIn the night
Say it right
Say it all
You either got it
Or you don't
You either stand or you fall
When your will is broken
When it slips from your hand
When there's no time for joking
There's a hole in the plan


I can't say that I'm not lost and at fault
I can't say that I don't love the light and the dark
I can't say that I don't know that I am alive
And all of what I feel I could show
You tonight

Nelly Furtado, "Say It Right"


I am interested in whether my readers have been as captivated by this song as I am-whenever it comes on the radio, I crank it up so high even my kids pay attention.

With her slurred and incredibly sexy delivery, Furtado captures so much of my ambivalence about intimacy, anger and love-between family members, partners, lovers and friends.

Why do we get so darned close to connecting-and then close down? As many times as I make the same dumb mistakes, I still haven't figured it out.

Reminds me of a country music song-but I'll spare ya.

It seems to me that we all, whether we believe in a Savior or not, walk that relational line of "I don't need you...but could you be the one to set me free?" I suppose the better, more relevant question is: why do we feel so imprisoned?

Maybe Nelly will come on while I'm driving to the gym...and I can turn up the volume as the tears cascade down my cheeks-an emotional catharsis for this consciously naive day dream believer who, in spite of chastening experiences of being rebuffed, keeps hoping to know more, go deeper, be a little kinder, and love a with a bit more zest...each time.

Say it right...

Aucun commentaire: