samedi, mai 27, 2006

Pimp my what?



The Bread Breaker, which has a temperature gauge that reaches 1,000 degrees, is one of an increasingly popular breed of supergrills that are becoming backyard status symbols, as Americans, mostly of the male variety, peacock with an object that harks back to the earliest days of human existence.
As Memorial Day marks the official beginning of grilling season, many men will find themselves almost genetically drawn to throwing hunks of raw meat onto a fire and poking them with tongs. It's a pull that some will spend almost any amount of money to satisfy, said Pantelis A. Georgiadis, the owner of Kalamazoo Outdoor Gourmet, the grill manufacturer based in Michigan. "There is a market segment we call the 'man cook with fire' types," he said. New York Times, Sunday, May 28- 'Pimp My Grill"

As I have confessed before, I am a woman wired to enjoy the company of men. Given the spark of debate with an attractive, witty man, I am willing to follow the highways and byways of conversation into realms of learning that are quite foreign to me-football, Internet Technology, Republican politics.
But I have to admit that I would have very little to contribute to a dialogue about the art of grilling.
When I moved to my modest rancher out here in the exurbs, I decided that I needed certain accouterments that seem to accompany "country" life. These have, so far, included a lawn mower (totally necessary) patio furniture (which we will certainly use)- and a George Foreman electric grill. The George Foreman grill was one that you could buy, without even a small pang of guilt, in a department store for less than $100.00. Assembled quickly when it was delivered, it was dusted off and brought up from the basement about a month ago, and has been used...once. I haven't even bothered to look at instructions, because even a mechanical Neanderthal like me can use it without printed aids.
Imagine my chagrin, then, when I discovered that I should have invested $11,290 in a gorgeous Kalamazoo grill! What will the neighbors think of me now? One of my neighbors already mows the strip of lawn adjacent to his land because he thinks I (Mom w/o husband and two lively kids) need a little help now and then. What will he think of me if he ever sees my puny grill?
Apparently the market for many of these Hummers of the fried, broiled and charcoaled world is largely male. At least according to this article, there's nothing some guys like more than smoking turkeys, turning knobs, and showing their male friends the latest in boy toys.
Why would a man spend almost as much on a grill as he would on a Toyota? This can't be just a matter of status. Most of your acquaintances are never going to see the behemoth slumbering under a hood in your yard.
Could the grill represent some primitive tie to the days when men would trap, kill and hunt dinner? Possibly. But I'm guessing that even then they weren't the ones to cook it. Which brings up another matter of curiosity-how come some men (not all, by any means) enjoy cooking "special" meals, but wouldn't be caught dead at a stove on a mundane Wednesday night?
Finally, there is the delicate matter of what we shall call the "bigger is better" issue. This is probably the most interesting theory of theme park grills, but one on which I shall maintain a discreet silence (although I encourage you males to speak).
For the ignorant female or the citified male, here are some good starter questions if you find yourself at a summer party. "My goodness, is that a hybrid (one which uses gas, charcoal or wood)? Do you have a refrigerator that goes with the grill? Can you demonstrate how to stir grill spaghetti?"
Oh, and I'd advise that you make sure you are near the beer cooler. When your host starts explaining the joys of his new toy, it could be a very long night.

1 commentaire:

Anonyme a dit…

My favorite yet! Certainly rings true in our neck of the woods.

Keep up the great work.

Kathy Chadwick