samedi, mars 25, 2006

Fences

In the rush of adrenaline caused by starting something new and exciting last night, I forgot to lay down a couple of ground rules. As someone who loves tickling sacred cows, I hate that legalistic term. But how can you break a rule if you don't know what it is? So here are the basics that, at least in my view, make for good conversations: Tolerate dissent. Avoid profanity unless you can make a reasoned, convincing and literary argument that it's totally neccesary to get your point across (I would go about as far as "damn" as in " he's a damned scoundrel"), Otherwise, as I tell my kids, it just makes us look, in that great Philadelphia term" ignorant." It also offends our more sensitive friends, and I want them to feel comfortable. Sex, politics and religion will probably all get some attention here, because our society is fascinated by all of them but please don't be too personal or graphic-there are plenty of other bloggers who are much more expert than I am on any of those subjects! Finally (for now)...play nice. Now that I've scared you off, here's something that puzzles me. Maybe you have an answer. Why is it, do you think, that people with the highest ideals, particularly religious people, can sometimes eviscerate, bloody and do unforgivable things to each another in the name of God? We get nailed for that by non-believers because it seems so blantantly hypocritical and rightly so. Any ideas? If you are a practicing hedonist, we want to hear from you, too.

3 commentaires:

gail-pilgrimage a dit…

Hi Elizabeth. It's cool you're doing this. In fact,in order to comment, I had to start a blog (it seems) so you've jumpstarted me into something I've been intending to do.

Religious. High ideals. Seems like the age old contrast of Pharisee vs. sinner. Though today, we seem have a bit of blend of each. I guess I think there's a difference between speaking the truth in love, and what usually (often) happens... Given that we're prone to this sin thing, enslaved really, it's usually the plain old speaking--or worse--that wins out.

Another thought I have is that people bloody each other all the time, high ideals or not. I think it's just the doing it in God's name that's so disturbing.

Wallacewriter a dit…

My sister also commented that she thought she had to start a blog to comment. I'm glad that you got inspired, Gail.

I understand what you are saying about being a slave to "this sin" thing, but I also think that we need to discipline ourselves to see the goodness of those around us before we open our big fat mouths and say something cutting, gossipy, or malevolent.

gail-pilgrimage a dit…

Yeah. The goodness thing is tricky. I think we are in a much better position to keep our mouths shut when we realize we are just as "bad" as everyone else, without the redemptive work of Christ. Of course, we can see the image of God in others, and if we keep this in mind, we will better one would hope. Logs. Specs. Are they all logs, all specs? It doesn't really matter--without grace and mercy, it's all the same.